1. Brush your teeth straight after dinner
2. After the main meal is finished, clean the kitchen, do the dishes, turn off the lights. Consider the kitchen closed!
3. Get out and exercise.
4. Try not to keep less healthy snack foods in the house so you won’t be tempted
5. Keep temptations out of sight; if you do have treats in the house store them out of sight and out of reach. A lolly bowl on the table, or a biscuit jar on the bench is just asking for trouble.
6. Don’t skip lunch! Skipping meals early in the day will leave you feeling famished and make it harder to stop eating after dinner.
7. Focus on adding a source of lean protein to every meal. This will assist you feeling satisfied for longer and you’re less likely to feel hungry soon after. Your blood sugar levels will avoid peaks and crashes if you stick to Low GI meals.
8. Prepare yourself for the mental battle you know you’ll feel later. Practicing saying no to yourself when it comes to non-hungry eating is essential. Know that eating high calorie, high GI foods can be as addictive as smoking. It’s going to take some commitment and personal strength.
9. Get support from the people you live with. If they’re constantly snacking in front of you, your task will be harder. Try letting them know “It’s important to me that I heat healthy and avoid late night snacking, please don’t tempt me with something that will sabotage my efforts”. If this doesn’t work, go to another room when they bring out the snacks.
10. Put leftovers straight in the fridge/freezer after cooking so you won’t be tempted by unneccesary seconds or constant picking after your meal.
11. Watch the self talk! “It’s been such a tough day”, “I went hard in my workout today”, “I really deserve that slice of cheese cake” Don’t use food as rewards and stop finding excuses and stick to the plan.
12. Keep the big picture in mind at all times and stick it on the fridge! A reminder of your goals stuck to the fridge is an excellent motivator.
13. If you tend to snack while you watch TV, find something else to do in front of TV instead. Papers to file? Shoes to shine? Anything! I recommend doing your core work and stretching while you watch TV.
14. Learn to eat consciously. It’s easy to inhale four biscuits without even thinking about it. You may not even remember them when you think back over your food for the day! Try not to eat within the kitchen food preparation area, standing next to the fridge or cupboard. Take your food to the table and sit down to eat. Eat slowly and mindfully.